I’m always craving Mexican food, but today it was bad. I have an enchilada recipe that requires you to pop it in the oven for about 20 min, but I’m too impatient so I improvised. Try out this quick recipe for “White Girl” Enchiladas.
1/2 lb. Ground Beef (browned and drained)
1 cup of shredded cheese (use your favorite)
2 cans enchilada sauce
Tortilla’s ( 8 or 10 inch)
1/2 packet Taco seasoning
1 small onion
1. Simmer onion, 1 can enchilada sauce, beef, garlic powder & pepper to taste, and taco seasoning for about 10-15 minutes on low-medium heat in a large pan. Be careful not to burn enchilada sauce.
2. In the same pan, slide the beef mixture aside and dip one tortilla (both sides) in the sauce until saturated.You are going to roll the enchiladas and heat in the same pan so make room.
3. Add some cheese, then 2 spoonfuls of meat mixture (or more) in the middle of the tortilla.
4. Fold both sides over and spoon enchilada sauce over enchilada. Add more enchilada sauce as you need it.
5. Top with cheese and heat until melted. You may need to put a lid on to speed up the melting process.
Since I was only making for myself, I had enough room to make two enchiladas in one pan. You should be able to fit 2-3 in one pan.
I didn’t have enough enchilada sauce, but the enchiladas still came out really good! I like them covered with sauce, but you can add as much or little as you like.
The bottom of the tortilla gets a little browned and crispy, yet still soft and flavorful from the enchilada sauce. Slightly spicy, but pairs well with cool sour cream or avocado.
By making everything in one pan, you don’t dirty a lot of dishes and clean up is a breeze!
Makes 4 enchiladas.
Tip: Make taco’s or dip with any leftovers. Try chicken or steak, too.