When it comes to breakfast, I believe that eggs, breakfast meat, veggies, and a tortilla are the perfect match. You can get creative and the possibilities are endless. Here’s an easy recipe for my latest creation.
Today on the Bite Tonight: Breakfast Quesadilla.
1. In a large skillet, saute about 3 tablespoons of ground breakfast sausage with 1/4 cup of onions and peppers of your choice (I used red pepper).
2. Once the sausage is cooked, push mixture to the side and brown 6 tater tots in a little olive oil, smashing with a spatula to really get that crispy crust.
3. Once the taters are crispy, crack one egg in the skillet and scramble, combining with sausage mixture once cooked.
4. Remove taters and sausage mixture and set aside.
5. Take one large tortilla and smear enchilada, hot sauce, or whatever the heck you have in the fridge on half of the tortilla.
6. Build the quesadilla on the same half as the sauce, starting with the sausage mixture, layer on your favorite cheese, then add taters, then more cheese.
7. Fold over the tortilla and brown on each side.
You get the delicious, comfort of a breakfast burrito, but then you taste the sauce which gives it a little spicy Mexican/Spanish flavor. It’s really great if you want to impress guests with your skillet skills or perfect for an on the go breakfast meal. Try it out and tell me what you think!