Today on the Bite Tonight: Chocolate Peanut Butter Surprise Baby Cakes
Allison is infamous for making creative, cool desserts with something sweet in the center. So I asked her to teach me her secrets for her delicious baby cakes.
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
What you’ll need:
– 1 8 oz package of cream cheese
– 4 cups confectioners sugar
– 2 tablespoons evaporated milk
– 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
– 4 (1 oz) squares of unsweetened chocolate
– 1/8 teaspoon salt
1. Beat cream cheese until fluffy.
2. Melt chocolate in a double boiler or in microwave, being careful not to let it burn. Add chocolate to cream cheese until well blended, mixing on medium.
3. Add vanilla and a pinch of salt.
4. Slowly add confectioner’s sugar until well incorporated and slowly add evaporated milk. Mix on medium-high until frosting is consistent.
Baby Cake Batter
Allison had an organic chocolate cupcake mix, but feel free to use any box mix you have on hand. You can also use your favorite recipe from scratch.
Prepare the mix per the directions and set aside to cool before frosting. The frosting may be thick, so pretend you’re an artist and work the frosting on the cupcake in circular swirls, evenly coating the top.
Dun Dun Dun
And now for the surprise. Allison and I decided to add a piece of Dove peanut butter chocolate to the center of the cupcake batter before baking. What you get is a smooth, creamy center.
The cupcakes were delicious. Sweet, rich, chocolatey, and dense resembling brownies. Try these out and add your own surprise in the middle! Allison’s made everything from pumpkin cupcakes with a pumpkin center and cream cheese frosting to a chocolate lover’s dream including chocolate cupcakes with a molten chocolate center.